- Business-focused, highly skilled search and information consultant with over 25 years experience in patent information, chemical and life science industries
- Delivery of high value-add reports complete with detailed relevancy analysis e.g. for patentability, freedom-to-operate, validity and infringement queries, to time
- A wide range of experience working with patent attorneys, business managers and scientists in search and analysis work and the provision of information
- Recognised in the industry as an expert in Markush structure searching, additional expertise in target/sequence searching
- Experience in the use of internet search and status tools including PatBase, Embase.com, Thomson-Reuters Cortellis, Thomson-Reuters Integrity, Esp@cenet, USPTO PAIR, JPO IPDL, EPO Register, WIPO Patentscope and various National Patent Office Registers
Present Founder and Director, Patent Search & Information Management
Stuart founded Patent Search & Information Management in February 2013, a patent, scientific and technical information service providing professional patent, literature and competitive intelligence searching, patent formalities management, and information management advice.
2003 – 2013 Head of Information, Astex Pharmaceuticals
A wide range of experience working as part of a team with Astex patent attorneys and working alongside Astex scientists and business managers. Delivery of a comprehensive information service including provision of high value-add search and analysis patent and scientific literature reports for patentability, freedom-to-operate, validity and infringement queries; the analysis of third party pipelines, competitor organisations, and third party IP portfolios; patent monitoring; maintenance of IPSS Patents & Trademarks docketing and document management database; staff training and information support to scientific staff; problem solving and answering everyday IP questions.
1999 – 2003 Royal Society of Chemistry
Provision of training and customer support for the STN suite of patent, scientific and technical information databases, including public and on-site training, preparation and marketing of events such as Biotechnology and Patent Forums.
1986 – 1999 Derwent Information
Various roles in patent information and online searching including Manager of Derwent Patent Search Service, Customised Services and Chemical Indexer in sections A (polymers) and G (photographic chemistry, printing and coatings).
- Certificate in Patent Administration, CIPA, London
- Masters Degree in Business Administration (MBA), Open University Business School
- BSc Polymer Chemistry, London Metropolitan University
Professional Membership and Activity
- Committee member (2010-date) of the Chemical Information and Computer Applications Group of the Royal Society of Chemistry (http://www.rsc.org/Membership/Networking/InterestGroups/CICAG/)
- Information Managers in the Pharma-Healthcare and Medical Devices Industry (http://www.impi.org.uk/)
- British Patent Information Professionals (http://ip-science.thomsonreuters.com/support/patents/patinf/usergroups/)
- Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining (http://www.iom3.org/)